Monday, February 12, 2018

Loved

February 12, 2018

She showed up promptly at noon, just as she had said she would. It wasn’t necessary for her to do it, but that’s just how she is, doing something she has no desire to do, for the good of someone else. And today, I happened to be that someone. I had a doctor’s appointment in Buffalo. Being blessed with more than a few moles and what TV ads used to call “horrid age spots,” I have annual appointments with a dermatologist who has frozen a couple skin tags and diagnosed and arranged for surgery for a small malignant carcinoma last year. So when I noticed one of those spots on the side of my face was growing and itching, I did what they tell you to do: get anything that changes checked out. 


She hates riding in the car, would much rather be home than anywhere else, but she loves me more than she hates riding, and offered to go with me, even though I was well able to handle this alone. We talked the entire way to Buffalo, talked through lunch, and all the way back to the church, where she had showed up four hours earlier. I said that today I happened to be that someone who was the recipient of her kindness, but truth be told, I am the one most often blessed by her, and am so very thankful for it. I just wish every man could experience the wonder of being so fully loved. It is an amazing gift, far more than I could ever have earned or deserved. That the spot on my face pales in comparison to the love I know. Let’s see now...am I loved all the way to California and back?

No comments:

Post a Comment