Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Problems and Circumstances

December 26, 2017

Three hours! That’s how long it took to plow our driveway today. Yeah, it was that deep, and it’s still coming down. The weatherman was actually telling the truth this time; if he keeps doing it, we’re in for a whole week of it. It’s really quite pretty, is giving the plow drivers their overtime, and as long as I don’t have to be anywhere early in the morning, I don’t mind it. That sentiment is pretty narcissistic, I know. The world and the weather doesn’t revolve around me, and there are plenty of people for whom this snow is a real hardship. Not everyone has a wood stove and a full shed. 

I actually like plowing. The only part I don’t like is my knees. They get cold. Linda bought me a Carhartt Jacket and bib overalls for winter plowing, but the overalls were too small. She went by my jeans size, but apparently needed to go one bigger to go over those jeans. No, I’m not getting chubby! Cold knees today, but the rest of me was quite toasty, thank you. And tomorrow when I wear the replacements, even my knees will be warm. That’ll be this B’s knees! (Where did that phrase ever come from, anyhow?)

A lot of people don’t like the cold. I understand; if you have to be out in it, it can be a trial. But it’s a part of the yearly rhythm in this part of the world that requires a time of rest. Things slow down in the winter; if we don’t, bad things happen, like accidents. A wise man once said that there is a difference between problems to be solved and circumstances to be endured. The trick is knowing which is which. Life presents plenty of problems that need solving, but it also presents us with circumstances that must simply be accepted. Trying to change the seasons is futile; we need to adjust to them, solving the daily problems of snowfall and cold. Railing against Western New York weather won’t change it, but we can roll with the punches. 


I am thankful for this season of the year that makes me prayerfully reflect on life itself. The Scriptures promise wisdom for those who seek it, so I am asking for that wisdom that will enable me to discern what I need to change, and where I need grace to accept what simply is.

No comments:

Post a Comment