Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Gemma

December 19, 2017

For the past six years, today has been one of my favorite days of the year. It’s our youngest grandchild’s birthday. We had thought we were done having grandchildren until our daughter informed us that she was pregnant once more. I know, I know...every grandparent brags on their grandchildren; how they are the smartest, prettiest, handsomest, etc. etc., ad nauseam. I’m not going to do that. What we celebrate is how little Gemma delights us with her antics. Her older brother and sister are “model” children, quiet, studious, calm and measured in most everything they do. Gemma on the other hand careens through life with innocent effervescence and ebullience, which brings great delight to Linda and me as much as she brings consternation to her mother and father. 

I am thankful tonight to have her, her siblings, and her cousins living within walking distance so we have the rare joy of watching them grow up from ringside seats. Not many grandparents have this privilege, one we never expected, and one we do not take for granted. I know grandparents who cannot be trusted with their grandchildren, and others who are not allowed any significant contact with their them. 

Nearly fifty years ago, Linda and I made a commitment to each other to love and honor the other no matter what. And when we started serving at Park Church thirty six years ago, we made sure the congregation understood our priorities, which included the understanding that if a church meeting conflicted with something our kids were involved in, they could take it to the bank that we would be with the kids. And we expected them to do the same with their families. Once, I was called on the carpet by one of our bishops for being too intertwined with my family. I quietly ignored the rebuke, and have no regrets for doing so. 


We didn’t do it perfectly by any means, but I firmly believe that I had (and still have) a responsibility to model healthy family life for my congregation. It’s not an easy balance; too many parents build their entire lives around their kids, while others are so busy with work, hobbies, or charitable organizations, that their kids are left to fend for themselves. I think we made the right choice way back then, and today by God’s grace, we are reaping the rewards. Watching Gemma grow is like compound interest, giving back far more than we invested.

No comments:

Post a Comment