Monday, December 11, 2017

Friendship Gold

December 11, 2017

A phone call can make all the difference. What parent of teenagers hasn’t dreaded that middle of the night call from the police? Or the call from the doctor’s office telling you to get to the hospital right away? A single call can conjure storm clouds that instantaneously blot out the sun. 

Then there are those calls that suddenly part those clouds, allowing the light to stream in with all its glorious splendor. I received two of those calls today. The first was from my friend George. He and I have traveled much different paths in life, but those paths converged in recent years when he started showing up at church, and more recently (and significantly), through our writer’s group. I wish we had known each other sooner. His wit and off-beat humor have often tickled my funny bone, but it’s his wisdom in life that has touched my heart. 

This morning there was a note in my Messenger feed inviting me to call him. He had read my post about tomorrow’s procedures, and having dealt with the same issue some years ago, thought he might have some way of helping. He did.
“I just want to tell you some of the things the doctors won’t discuss,” he began. It was matter of fact, no holds barred, let’s spare the BS kind of talk. I needed that. As a pastor, people tend to talk religious talk around you. I understand that, and I know that it is well meant and sincere. But having someone tell their pastor that there may be times when “you’ll feel damned angry” had a ring of truth that dug deep into my soul. There are some other things we talked about that will remain just between the two of us, thank you. But the longer I live, the more I realize how much I value these special friendships. So, thank you, George. Our friendship means more to me than words can express.

The second call was from my brother, who ten years ago traveled down this same road. You know, it makes a difference hearing from someone who can say, “I’ve been there,” without telling you how you should feel or react. I’ve led what some may believe is a charmed life; my wife and I are still together, loving each other 47 years into it; our children are walking with Christ, our grandchildren live nearby and are all actively living out their faith; Linda and I have few health issues. So when it comes to dealing with life’s tragedies, much of the time, I speak as an outsider. Maybe God is giving me the opportunity to walk a path I haven’t walked before, so I’ll be able to help someone else down the road. Maybe all the tests will come up blank. Either way, I’ll not forget my brother calling me up and not only telling me he’ll be praying for me, but actually doing it, right over the phone. Thank you, brother! I take back all those mean things I said about you when we were growing up :)


Others have texted me, talked with me, let me know of their prayers and support. So even before the tests have begun, I find myself surrounded by people who in countless ways, are walking with me, making this journey brighter by their friendship and presence. I am blessed beyond what I deserve, and thankful for these people who are the face of Christ to me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment