Sunday, December 3, 2017

Interruptions

December 3, 2017

When Mary and Joseph decided to marry, they had no inkling of what lay in store for them. Although the texts don’t say so, I imagine they planned on a wedding typical of Jewish weddings of the day. There would be a week long celebration with dancing and feasting, culminating in the marriage being consummated in typical fashion. But when Mary showed up at the door from her three month visit to her cousin Elizabeth, obviously pregnant, those plans went right out the window. Mary’s story of being visited by an angel and her somehow being miraculously and divinely impregnated would have been as incredulous to Joseph as it would be to us today. So he planned to quietly divorce her...till he himself was visited by an angel in a dream, probably the only way he could be convinced that her story was true. I know it would take a similar angelic visit for me to believe such a tale!

Joseph’s plans changed once more. He took Mary as his wife, but the consummation of that marriage would have to wait. Then came the census. At nine months, Mary was in no condition to travel, but any plans to quietly give birth at home changed once more, and contrary to any mother’s dreams for her firstborn baby, she would give birth in a stable.

Later on, the wise men expected to meet the newborn king in a palace, offer their gifts of congratulations and return home rejoicing. They didn’t expect to be sneaking out of town so as to avoid the violent and dangerous Herod. Herod himself didn’t plan on having his authority challenged by a baby born right under his nose.

The list goes on and on, how God interrupted well intentioned plans to fulfill his own. At the beginning of the Story, he had said that one day the offspring of Eve would crush the head of the Serpent, that a child would be born in Bethlehem who would rule his people. Jeremiah had said that God has his own plans to bless us, Isaiah adding that God’s ways are higher than ours.


I had it all figured out. I would retire, but continue to serve for a year to the help the new pastor learn the ropes, all without cost to the church. After all, our conference didn’t have much experience with transitioning from a long-term pastor to new leadership. It made perfect sense to me. The bishop nixed my plan. I was not happy; my perfectly reasonable plan had been rejected. But a year later, God sent us pastor Joe, the very best man I could have hoped for. Time and time again, I’ve had my plans interrupted by God’s, my timetable thrown out while God elbowed his way into my life. Advent and Christmas are times when we plan for things to be Hallmark-perfect, but God, seeing a bigger picture, may have something else in mind. If he does, I hope I’ll be receptive, like Mary who said, “I am the Lord’s servant. Be it unto me according to your word.” If I can handle God’s interruptions with such grace, I’ll be very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment