Sunday, August 27, 2017

Two Congregations, One Body

August 27, 2017

It’s cozy in Dunkirk. About twenty faithful people gather to worship in a sanctuary built for ten times that number. In the six weeks we’ve been together, I’ve learned their names, grown to love and appreciate them, their faith, their tenacity, their acceptance of me. Today was supposed to be my last Sunday with them, but the powers that be haven’t yet been able to come up with a suitable replacement for me. I can’t imagine it would be that hard, but that’s what I understand. 

I rode the bike home to change my clothes for Park church’s “I Am Free” event in the village commons. As I came within view of the commons, I could hardly believe my eyes. Worship was over, but the area was completely filled with people. They were lined up for the chicken BBQ, for the back to school supplies and haircuts, milling around the car show, and seated at tables under the tent. I was told that we served a thousand chicken dinners. I didn’t think we had even prepared that many, but there were a lot of people there. 

They heard the Gospel proclaimed, ate well, received gifts, and were blessed by the generosity of God’s people. Besides Park’s people, Conduit Ministries from Jamestown were on hand with their sno-cone truck. We had to leave early to attend a fiftieth wedding anniversary, and as we left, volunteers were loading tables onto a trailer to be taken back to the church. Firemen from both the Sinclairville and Stockton departments had cooked the chickens, five hairdressers worked nonstop for hours. Park people have been meeting for months, planning, and were out in force to make this a day to remember. 

People who come to events like this have little idea how much work goes into what they receive. Being retired and working at another church, for the first time in years, I wasn’t a part of the volunteer team. It feels odd, but it also feels good to be a part of a congregation that gives so freely. Will people flock through the doors next Sunday because of what they experienced today? Probably not. But in the same tradition as Jesus himself who fed thousands, most of whom stopped following when the free lunches ended, we serve because of the love of God. 


One congregation is small and struggling; the other is vibrant and strong. Both are the Body of Christ, his precious Bride, Beloved by him, God’s people for whom I am thankful tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment