Monday, August 7, 2017

God, Speak Directly!

August 7, 2017

A couple nights ago, my wife and I watched the movie “Courageous,” a film promoting men taking leadership in their homes and standing for character, integrity, and faithfulness. There was much in the film to commend it, but there was one scene that particularly caught my attention. 

One of the main characters was Xavier, an Hispanic man who lost his job when his company downsized. He learned of a construction company that was hiring, but having no money for gas, he had to walk to the job site, where he was told that the job had been filled. Walking home dejectedly, he was passing by one of the other lead characters who was busy building a shed in his backyard. The latter called to Xavier by name, asking if he wanted a job. Xavier looked around him, not imagining that anyone in that neighborhood knew his name. He took the job, and over time, the two became friends. Towards the end of the movie, his friend asked Xavier how it was he came to work for him that afternoon. “You called to me,” Xavier responded.

“I didn’t know your name,” his friend responded. “How could that be?” They both realized that somehow God had called Xavier’s name. 

I’ve been reflecting on 2 Kings 7, where four leprous men were surprised by God. They expected to die either by starvation or at the hand of the enemy who had surrounded and besieged the city. But God brought unexpected deliverance and made them messengers of hope. I love these stories of unexpected deliverance, where God pulls a rabbit out of his hat and does what was humanly impossible. Today, I was in the beautiful sanctuary of the church I’m serving. I walked around, praying, asking God what was his plan for this congregation. 

By human reckoning, the options are limited. The people are few, and they are old. They are doing an amazing work with the few resources they have, but they are getting tired. The usual tactic of inviting their friends and neighbors is not likely to yield much fruit. After all, their friends are mostly their own age. It’s hard to build a congregation with people who are looking to slow down. So as I was praying, I thought of that movie, and how God spoke directly to Xavier.


My prayer is simple: I’m asking God to speak directly to people who happen to be passing by; his personal invitation in their hearts to come to Christ. Humanly, that doesn’t sound like much of a strategy, but I have no ideas of my own, so I’m taking it that any ideas that pop into my head are from God unless they contradict Scripture. Time will tell, but that’s how I’m praying, and how I’m inviting others to pray along with me. Like I told the people Sunday, “I’m retired; I have nothing to prove, and nothing to lose.” It’s a great place to be, and I am thankful God is giving me this opportunity to step out in faith. I believe God is at work, and that he has no intention of abandoning his Church. I also believe that the success of the Church is not a matter of better programs or marketing. It is the work of the Holy Spirit at work in God’s people, as in prayer we assault the gates of hell which by Jesus’ own promise, will surely yield.

1 comment: