Saturday, August 26, 2017

Cousins


August 26, 2017

Family photos are not usually of much interest to people outside of the family. We all have been subjected to Aunt So-and-so’s endless photo albums of nieces and nephews; we’ve all seen family pictures on Facebook, often wondering why people chose those particular photos to inflict on unsuspecting friends. So, you are free to skip the photos and read the article. Or you can skip the article and look at the photos. Or you can skip the whole thing. Your life will probably not be significantly diminished if you do so.

Today was the Henthorn family reunion, my mother’s 95th birthday celebration, and my brother and sister-in-law’s 50th wedding anniversary, all rolled into one. My cousins brought their mother, my mom’s only sister, as we gathered at my brother’s home for food, fun, and plenty of conversation. When we were kids, we got together with our cousins twice a year, camping vacation in the summer, and Christmas Eve in the winter. Over the course of life, we all went in our separate directions, but somehow seem to have maintained the same values. Except for the eldest who is a psychologist, my cousins went into business, doing quite well for themselves. When my uncle died a few years ago, we got together for the memorial service and had such a good time together, we wondered why we hadn’t done this before. Every year since, we’ve been  getting together. 

I wish I could describe the feeling that comes from spending these times with my extended family. When the meal is over, the kids have slowed down from the craft activities my cousin Patty has planned, and the last arrow has hit its target, the goodbyes stretch out as we hate to end the day. The Bible tells us “how good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity…there the LORD has commanded blessing, life evermore” (Ps. 133). It’s true of cousins, too. It’s been a wonderful day for which I am very thankful tonight. 


And it’s OK if you skip the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment