Thursday, August 10, 2017

Community

August 10, 2017

I thought I was the only one. In the three years I’ve owned it, I’ve never seen another Ural in our area, much less one identical to mine. But yesterday as I was on my way to the Dunkirk church, an identical Ural GearUp passed me headed south. We both smiled and waved frantically like a couple of goofy pre-teenagers. If there hadn’t been so much traffic, I would have U-turned and waved him over to talk. It’s good to know I’m not the only odd duck in the pond. 

Saturday I installed a hand shifter for reverse gear. I’ve had the kit for over a year, but hadn’t gotten around to putting it on. Why I waited, I don’t know. Getting it into reverse used to require tickling first gear with my left foot while depressing the clutch and reaching down behind my right foot for the shift lever. Now, all I have to do is pull the clutch lever and push the shifter. Easy-peasy. 


Today after pulling a small stump that was up against the foundation of our son’s home, and smoothing out his lawn where the new water line was installed, I decided to adjust the clutch on my bike. Among other things to love about my Ural is the online community that is always ready to help with instructions and videos for almost any repair project imaginable. The instructions that came with the shifter were pretty minimal, and I had no idea how to adjust my clutch, so a quick tap on the YouTube app, and I was in business. Both projects: Done! Tonight it’s not particularly spiritual, but I am thankful for people who know more than me, and who take the time to produce videos that turn this knuckle-buster into a genuine mechanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment