Sunday, May 8, 2016

Annuals are Best

May 8, 2016

This may be a year of "lasts." Last week was the last pre-concert dinner at the General with all Nate and Deb's girls. In just a few more weeks, Alex graduates, with all the last high school events that brings with it. Then there is mom. It is Mother's Day, after all!

After dinner she ticked off the pros and cons. Her congestive heart failure compounded by a leaky valve caused her doctor to tell her that she needed heart valve surgery. She asked the risks, then the benefits. "It could give you another five or six years," he responded. "Without it, you have maybe a year.

Her response? "I'm 93; I'm losing my hair, I can't see well enough to read, my hearing is going, I can't taste my food, and it's hard for me to get around. Why would I want another five or six years?" How do you argue with that kind of reasoning? Her faith is strong, her husband and most of her friends are gone, she is ready to go, and if her doctor has read the signs correctly, this could be our last Mother's Day with her. When that day comes, it will be sad for us, but we've been blessed by her presence, her wisdom, her character, and her faith in Christ for more years than most. Today may not be her last Mother's Day, but we didn't want to take any chances.

When asked what she wanted for Mother's Day, mom said she'd like a flower garden by her front door. There had been a garden there once upon a time, but it hasn't been tended in years and was overgrown with weeds and thistles. So we dug up some of the perennials from what's left of Linda's Cassadaga gardens, dug out the weeds, and planted lilies, Black-eyed Susans, daisies, hostas, and a couple others I can't identify. She was pleased when we told her we'd be back with some colorful annuals. I think I detected somewhat of a twinkle in her eye as she explained, "I had thought some shrubs would be nice, but they will take a few years before I could enjoy them. In my condition, I think annuals are just right."

No comments:

Post a Comment