Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Quality Takes Time

February 9, 2016

Bit by bit it's getting done. We bought the house in January, 2013, and moved in on May 11, the day before Mother's Day. In those intervening four months, we gutted the house, insulated, wired, drywalled, and totally remodeled the kitchen, downstairs bath, and upstairs bedroom, adding a second bath. After moving in we added a bay and wired the garage, restored gardens and enlarged the yard by pulling sumac and cutting brush. Between our last home and this, we've been remodeling for sixteen years. Just thinking about it makes me tired!

Right now I'm varnishing the door for the closet we're building under the living room staircase. Being winter, I can't do it outside, so our entry room is my workshop. If you were planning on paying us a visit, you might want to wait until the smell of varnish doesn't hit you in the face when you open the front door. Factoring in drying time, the door should be done in a day or two. Then I can move on to the doorframe and trim. It's going to smell around here for quite awhile!

It all takes time, and there's no rushing it if we want it to turn out right. Kinda like life. Most of us at one time or another try to take a shortcut or two. We may get away with it for awhile, but it never turns out the way it really should. We live in a microwave world. We want instant holiness, instant love, instant maturity, but life takes time. God never seems to be in a hurry, and is not bothered by the smelly, messy business of renovating our lives till they conform to his idea of what our lives should look like. When we were contemplating buying this house, Linda was gung-ho, while I was standing on the brakes. She saw the end product; all I could see was the process - the amount of work it would take for us to get there. In life, God sees the end; and he knows the process. I'm taking my time making our house the home we we want to live in; God is taking his time making me a habitation he wants to live in.Tonight I'm grateful that God believed that the end he has in mind justified the amount of work required to get me through the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment