Thursday, September 3, 2015

Winding Down

September 3, 2015

As I was changing the oil on my motorcycle, a car pulled over down by the south end of the property and a young family hopped out and made their way down to the swimming hole. School has started and the steady stream of kids taking advantage of the water has slowed to a trickle. Soon the weather will slowly cool and the kids will disappear.

It's been an interesting summer. Opening day of trout season saw a fisherman landing a very nice brown trout and stashing it in the snow as he cast in vain for more. A few other angling adventurers tried their luck, which did not smile kindly on them. Once school was out, the kids were in. And the picnickers. At times they came by multiple carloads replete with blankets, coolers, and even a charcoal grill. Most of them were courteous and appreciative when they learned they were on private property, but there's always the occasional jerk who leaves a mess behind. We've wondered about liability and consulted an attorney who told us the only thing we could do to protect ourselves would be to post no trespassing signs. Problem is, this has been a public swimming hole for generations, and we don't feel right about posting it. So we didn't.

To be honest, I'm going to miss the kids and the conversations we had with picnickers. This weekend will probably be the last hurrah; it will be awhile before we hear children's laughter again. In the meantime, I plan to fill in a few of the gaps in the rocks and low spots in the lawn so it'll be easier to mow in the springtime. I am grateful to be the caretakers of Sunnyside, with the opportunities it has given us to meet people. And my gratitude is not abstract. I thank God who redeemed me through the sacrifice of his Son Jesus, and who has led me to this time and place. Every week in worship, we pray the Lord's Prayer in which we ask that the Father's kingdom come and his will be done, and throughout the week, I do my best to live into that prayer, always including the words about forgiveness, knowing that even my best efforts fall short. And every day that forgiveness is offered through God's marvelous grace for which I am also thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment