Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Successful Succession

September 9, 2015

A few days ago a pastor friend posted a cartoon about retired pastors grading the current pastor's sermons, along with a comment on what is actually quite an issue for many clergy. I responded with the comment that having a successor of skill and integrity is crucial to a successful transition from one pastor to another. Another clergy friend chimed in about the significance of the length of the tenure of the previous pastor in successful transitions. "The transition from a long term pastorate can be very difficult, and if a retired clergy...is the former pastor, then it is a recipe for troubles no matter how competent the successor."

I responded once more. "hat you say may often be true, but I was at Park for 34 years and have had as seamless a transition as I could imagine. I and my family continue to worship under Joe's leadership, and while he doesn't do everything the way I would, the church continues to grow. I decided quite awhile ago that I would not interfere in Joe's ministry, refusing to do anything remotely "pastoral" apart from his initiative or without his blessing. I worked too hard to build the church to screw it up by meddling."

My pastor friend responded with a compliment regarding my handling of the transition, but rightly stood his ground as to the rarity of such transitions. It is sad commentary on the character and self-awareness in the pastorate that so many former pastors are so threatened by the success of their successors. The very term we use to describe the new pastor would seem to indicate that the goal of transition has something to do with success. I wouldn't claim to be particularly skilled in transitions; after all, I only have a couple under my belt, but the more I see our situation unfold, the more cognizant I am of God's grace in the process. Were Joe not as competent or theologically sound, or were he plagued with issues of self-esteem, placing the congregation in his care would be much more difficult.

Joe does many things quite differently than I, but that's OK. The church continues to grow, people are coming to faith in Christ, and I get to see the results of years of sowing seeds. And the weight of responsibility rests on his shoulders now, not mine. I cannot find words to express how I appreciate that, and how it makes me pray for him. I've said it many times before, but as I watch him shoulder that responsibility and lead with integrity and passion, I am filled with gratitude to God who has blessed me far more than I deserve by sending us a pastor who is leading us to levels beyond what I could do. Moses viewed the Promised Land, but wasn't allowed in. Joshua was the leader now. We have a new leader, but I am more blessed than Moses, because I get to plant my feet into the future for which we have spent years preparing.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly appreciate your comments on the transition and your encouragement. I've only been in place for 11 years, but, should the Lord allow, I plan on being here the next 20+ years until it is time to retire. I watch long term pastoral transitions with a great deal of interest and am glad to have a sideline seat to Park's transition.

    ReplyDelete