Monday, September 14, 2015

Hearing

September 14, 2015

The conversation was lively as the guys were talking and laughing. Pastor Joe, Doug and Dave Schroeder, and Harry were in Pastor Joe's truck after delivering two pool tables. It's a long story, so don't ask. Fortunately, we weren't the only ones involved. Kent, Jerry, and Otis were also a part of the delivery team. All we really needed was Doug. We had to slow him down as he grabbed one end of the table and was ready to take off with it. This guy is strong as an ox! It was on the way home that the conversation in question took place. The problem is, I couldn't hear much of it. I could hear the conversation, but wasn't able to distinguish most of the words. It's not their fault. They are guys, after all, and they don't talk softly. The problem is these ears of mine. Hearing aids can only do so much, even as technologically advanced as they are.

All of which brings me to my third meditation on the five senses. I've often thought it would be better to be blind than deaf, not that I'm wishing that on myself or anyone else. But one can still be part of conversations though blind. Deafness cuts a person off from the connections with others that make us a part of life. I can see things happening, watch lips move, catch snippets of conversation, but I often miss much of what is really happening around the dinner table, in small groups, or wherever there is any background noise. Sometimes it's easier to let the talk go on all around me than to try to make sense of the fragments of conversation I actually hear. I am by nature somewhat introverted, but not nearly so much as people might think by my behavior in a group.

I'm not complaining. The hearing aids I wear are marvelous examples of technology, and they are getting better all the time. The difference between wearing them and going without is night and day. With them I can hear the birds singing, my grandchildren laughing and talking, and Linda's whispers of love.

It's no wonder to me that in the Bible, hearing is more significant than seeing. We often hear Christians sing about wanting to see Jesus, much as Moses wanted to see God. Moses didn't know at the time, and we often don't realize that seeing God might not be best for us. But hearing him is another matter altogether. It is no accident that Jesus is not only the image of the Father, but even more, is the Word made flesh. More important than seeing God or even feeling his Presence, is hearing his Word. I am grateful tonight for the gift of hearing, not only physically, but spiritually too. I am also thankful that God speaks through his Word, and that I've been hearing from him. My prayer is that I might learn to listen more carefully so I might hear him more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment