Saturday, September 26, 2015

Simple Pleasures

September 26, 2015

You know you're getting old when such simple things bring such pleasure. I don't need my motorcycle to do 150 mph. I'm not quite up to another hair-raising ride down Zoar Valley in my canoe (Wait...I can't do that anyway since my boys wrapped my canoe around a rock!). Linda and I like to catch the occasional ball game on tv in the evening; I don't think I'll dive for a fly ball anytime soon.

So what pleases me today? Being outside to behold the beauty of a dazzling fall day as the colors are just beginning to change. Being able in spite of a nasty cold, to serve a family grieving the loss of the family patriarch. Having my son come over to help me install our new front door. Linda gets to choose all the accoutrements of our home, and she outdid herself with her choice of a door. People have often complimented us on our home. It's all her; I would be living in the equivalent of a college bachelor pad if the decor were left up to me. She brings civilization into our home.

Tonight I'll go to bed early, suitably greased up with Jessie's essential oils in hopes of beating off this cold so I can preach tomorrow. Pastor Joe heard about my sniffle issues and offered to preach, but I'll decline. How can you beat having a pastor who volunteers to relieve his relief pitcher after a seven hour drive? I am surrounded by people who give and bless in various ways, and am looking forward to serving them tomorrow, not in my own strength, but in the power of the Holy Spirit. As I lay my head on my pillow, I thank God for the many people he has placed in my life, and pray for my friends in Canada who recently lost three of their dear ones in a senseless shooting, for those battling cancer, and those brothers and sisters halfway around the world who are remaining faithful in the face of unimaginable persecutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment