Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Unintended Consequences

September 22, 2015

"You've blessed me; I'd like to bless you. Is there anything I can pray for, for you?" Suddenly she stopped what she was doing and simply stood there. Unknowingly, I had touched a nerve. Confidentiality prevents me from saying much more, but a few minutes later when she handed me an evaluation form on a clipboard, a post-it-note was stuck beneath the form. "My son. Thank you. I can't talk about it. I will cry." That's all I know, but I know all I need. I would never have guessed if not for the offer to pray. Later, she mentioned in passing that her son had recently graduated from boot camp, so I'm guessing he may be deployed, but that's only a guess.

I'm already praying for her son and for her. Earlier she had commented on my bike, so I gave her one of the Gospel pamphlets I had printed just for such occasions. It has my contact information on it which she may or may not use. Either way, I will continue to pray for her son, and I will inquire.

People who quietly and faithfully do their job are often carrying burdens about which we know nothing. All it takes is an offer to pray, and the floodgates open. I've asked that simple question countless times; sometimes people can't think of anything, but that offer often opens doors to rooms of the heart that have been long closed and locked. Whether it's a business deal, an online purchase, or the reception of service in a restaurant or store, a simple offer to bless those whose service has blessed me has caused walls to collapse like Jericho's, allowing me entrance to the holy ground of the heart. This introvert is grateful tonight for having years ago learned the power of that simple question, and the opportunities it has given me to return blessings to people who have blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment