Monday, December 29, 2014

Small blessings

December 30, 2014

It's been quite a day, heading out the door with Alex and Abi at 7:30 this morning for a two and a half hour drive to Watkins Glen so Alex could see Joseph, a young man she met at the Family Life Network youth leadership conference at Houghton College last summer. We met him, his two brothers and his mother, all gracious as they welcomed us into their home. We left Alex there; her folks would be picking her up in the evening and taking her to a girlfriend's home for the night while they got some alone time at a local B&B. We on the other hand, took Abi to the Horseheads Mall for her annual post-Christmas shopping spree with Meema. I got to be chauffeur.

Dinner at Ruby Tuesdays (we didn't locate the Olive Garden till after exiting from RT, waddling more than walking), then we hit the road for home, arriving without incident. Right now at a little after 9 pm, I'm sitting in my new leather recliner (a "just-because-I-love-you" gift from my wife) by the fire in the back room. Looking down to the other end of the Millstone Room, I see Linda and Abi stretched out on the hide-a-bed beneath layers of quilts, watching "Monk" on the TV. Small blessings that add up become big ones; it's hard to compute why my life should be so full of them, but I am grateful for every one, knowing that they come by the mysterious grace of God, not because I deserve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment