Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Murder

December 8, 2014

It's been a long time since I didn't have any pressing work before me. During my years
of pastoral ministry, there was always more work to be done than time to do it. There was always one more person to see, one more sermon to write, another report to be filed, the regular interposition of funerals, weddings, and the like. And always the deadlines. Sunday came around with amazing regularity. Even in retirement, the projects I've been doing have been time-sensitive. Until today.

It's not that there's any sudden shortage of projects. The living room staircase closet and bookshelves need to be built, the baseboard is waiting installation, along with window trim in the kitchen, trim on our bedroom and closet doors, plus backsplash tile in the kitchen and tile floor in the entry room. The garage wiring needs some serious attention. Some of this will have to wait for spring. Tile work is messy; I don't want to cut tile indoors. The baseboard, staircase, and window trim however, would be good winter projects. As will caning the swivel chair that goes with Linda's desk. I have all the material; it's just a matter of getting it underway. I'm debating whether to start before or after Christmas.

But today, after making two batches of cranberry scones, I sat and wrote. Linda thinks I'm crazy, but I like writing. It is a challenge, but making words bend to my will is gratifying. Enforcing my will in real life would rightly be put down as manipulation, but when it comes to words on paper, I can do anything I want. During Advent, in addition to my nightly posts of which this is an example, I write for Linda. A few years ago, it all began with little daily gifts we call "stinkin' trinkets." That first year, Sam's Club was selling a "Bethlehem Village," complete with six buildings, palm trees, and an assortment of first century people and animals. She received one piece each day of Advent, along with a little note. One year, I followed the alphabet, writing about something Christmas related that began with the letter of the day, accompanied by an inexpensive trinket of the item. There have been short notes of appreciation and comments on our marriage, and a couple short stories.

This year, I'm trying my hand at something a little out of my element, but which has been a lot of fun: a Christmas murder mystery entitled "Myrrhder at the Manger." The best part of it all is that Linda likes to read the last page of a novel first. She can't do this because the last page hasn't been written. As I write, I keep thinking of different twists or turns to the plot, and at this point even I don't know how it all will turn out. I've included a few red herrings, and have yet to choose which character will be the real perpetrator.

All this is to say how grateful I am for time. I'm increasingly aware of that elusive thing we measure by ticks of the clock, movement of sun, moon, and stars. I know I have less of it before me than is behind me, and want to make the most of every bit of it I have been given. I have a few old b&w movies downloaded on my iPad waiting to be watched, but I can't make myself slow down enough to watch them. I have too much I want to do. And today, I did some of it, grateful to be able to write for leisure instead of necessity. How blessed I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment