Tuesday, December 23, 2014

An Odd Advent

December 23, 2014

It's an odd build-up to Christmas this year. Linda's been dealing with all the legalities and the emotional roller coaster associated with her mother's death and handling the estate. On my part, I think it has to do more with the change in my status from active to retired pastor. When I say "status," I'm not referring to my standing in the congregation, whatever that may or may not be. It's more a matter of for the first time in over forty years, not having to push and prepare for Christmas. For all my working life, this time of year has meant the extra push of Christmas Eve services, special programming, and immersing myself in the nativity narratives till they cried "uncle" and yielded up their secrets to my interrogations.

There are a good many Scriptures that deal with Christmassy themes, but sooner or later I found, it was the better part of wisdom for me to make sure the traditional stories were told. That wasn't problematic in itself, but it did force me to dig deeply. For decades, during this time of year, my mind would be spinning, thinking about the stories, looking at them from every conceivable angle, while trying desperately to be faithful to the message and not end up being merely clever or cutesy. This year, although I've read the stories, there hasn't been the same burden of necessity hanging over my head. So I am wondering if not digging deeply means not receiving deeply. I suspect that is true, which means I am learning a new lesson in discipleship as a non-professional. I can't take it for granted, and have a deepening appreciation for my lay brothers and sisters whose own perusal and study of God's Word sustains them in their faithfulness. They humble me with their faith and faithfulness, and I thank God for these ordinary, yet extraordinary Christians who have surrounded me with their presence and prayers for many, many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment