Sunday, December 28, 2014

Listening to See

December 29, 2014

This morning, pastor Joe brought something to my attention that I had missed before. He spoke from Luke 2:25-35; the story of Mary and Joseph bringing Jesus to the temple for his circumcision, and their meeting up with Simeon. Joe pointed out that the name Simeon means "One who hears." This is not incidental or accidental in the story. Simeon had devoted himself to listening to God, seeking him daily in the temple, even though he wasn't a priest. Three times the Holy Spirit is mentioned in connection with Simeon. It says, "The Holy Spirit was upon him." The very next sentence states that the Holy Spirit revealed to him that he wouldn't die before seeing the Christ. The next sentence after that says "he came [led] by the Spirit into the temple." The Holy Spirit communicated to him; exactly how this happened, it doesn't say; but Simeon was a God-seeker, dedicated to listening to God.

We often sing about wanting to "see" Jesus, but that revelation only comes to those who are actively listening to the Holy Spirit. I wonder how often I've missed seeing Jesus because I haven't been listening to the Holy Spirit. My wife tells me there is a difference between hearing her and listening to her. I suppose the same is true with God. We hear the sound of his voice, but aren't really listening to what he is saying, much as the people with Saul of Tarsus heard a sound, but only Saul heard and understood that Jesus speaking.

Pastor Joe also pointed out that in looking for the Christ, it is quite likely that Simeon like his countrymen, was expecting a political Messiah who would rescue them from Roman rule. If he hadn't been listening carefully to the Holy Spirit, he would have missed the child God promised he would see, for he was more likely to have been expecting a warrior than a baby.

Simeon was listening. He was daily in the temple, surrounded by God's people, listening for the voice of God. I am so  grateful for God's people. Hebrews 10:25  tells us to "not forsake the assembling of ourselves together." The reason? We need  to gather together to encourage one another. I was encouraged this morning by the Word of God (I was actually listening!) and the people of God who faithfully gather each week to worship and among other things, hold me accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment