Sunday, November 2, 2014

Saying Goodbye

November 2, 2014

Habakkuk the prophet was perplexed. He knew his people needed chastening for their unfaithfulness to the Lord, but when it came at the hands of the ruthless Assyrians, it seemed to him a miscarriage of justice. "These people who kill and rape and steal are worse than we ever were; how is there any justice in this?" he wailed. But instead of turning his back on God, he said, "I'll sit and wait to see what the LORD has to say to me."

I don't know how long he waited for an answer, but when it came, it probably wasn't what he expected. At first glance, it doesn't seem like much of an answer at all. "The just shall live by faith" was what God told him. Huh? What kind of answer is that? Well, in this world, it is about the only answer we often get: Just keep trusting God." Sometimes there is no other choice except despair. It's either hang on or give up. God doesn't let us in on all his secrets. I don't believe it's because he delights in watching us weep at gravesides or writhe with the pain of cancer, but there are often paths along which he leads us that we would avoid like the plague if we knew ahead of time where they were leading.

I've stood with parents by the grave of their child, wondering if I can find any words that can give some measure of comfort, knowing full well their grief will not go away. And yet, these very same parents when asked if they would rather not have been given that child, invariably say that the privilege of raising their child was worth carrying within them a broken heart. Love is worth the pain.

And yet, it hurts, and often makes no sense. The prophet Jeremiah even accused God of deceiving him. It hardly seems wise to challenge God, but when you are hurting badly enough, desperation often kicks in. "You deceived me, LORD, and I was deceived; you overpowered me and prevailed. I am ridiculed all day long; everyone mocks me" (Jeremiah 20:7). That's a pretty ballsy thing to say to God, but Jeremiah had had enough. As Ricky Ricardo used to say to Lucy, "You got some 'splainin' to do!" Still, God holds his peace, while we struggle to find ours.

Remember Habakkuk? When all was said and done, God's word proved to be enough. At the very end of his short prophecy, he concludes, "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength."

I think the emphasis in Habakkuk's final statement is on the word "will." I WILL rejoice..." I think he flings that word "will" down like a gauntlet, gritting his teeth as he by sheer force of willpower makes his choice. We always have a choice. When the storm hits we can either praise or protest. Neither one will change the storm, but our choice will change us. This evening the Bailey clan tearfully said farewell to part of our family. The Katilus family is on their way to new jobs and a new life in Texas. They have blessed us as we watched them grow in faith and love for Jesus, as we worshipped with them, and shared birthdays, vacations, and Christmases together. The tears are plentiful, the ache in our hearts is deep and raw. I can't pretend to understand, and in my prayers I am Ricky Ricardo, but God isn't 'splainin.' Yet I will praise him and thank him for the years we had together and the love that fills our hearts with pain, knowing that God has purposes he doesn't always choose to reveal until that day when all his children are reunited and the circle is once more unbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment