Sunday, November 23, 2014

Old Dog, New Tricks

November 23, 2014

Tearfully, we offered our prayers and blessings, and said our farewells this morning to Matt and Kelly, who are headed to new work opportunities in West Virginia this week. This makes three young families Park has lost in the last four months. Goodbyes are always hard, even when they are the result of good things happening in people's lives. Maybe they are especially hard then. Those who leave in anger are not usually blessed with tears.

The music chosen by our worship team was especially moving today, surging forth in spontaneous praise, followed by pastor Joe's inspired preaching. Challenged again by his passion for Christ and for people's salvation, I couldn't help but give thanks for God's having given him and his family to Park church. We've lost three families, but in that same time period, there have been so many new people coming that I am struggling to remember everyone's names. I've been told that usually when there is pastoral transition, attendance dips as people loyal to the former pastor drift away, but we've seen just the opposite; attendance just keeps rising, to the point where we are looking to add parking space and trying to figure out how to accommodate all the new kids we have running around.

In some ways, it's an odd feeling to not be a part of the innermost workings of the church. Conversations I once would have had with my son and secretary are now playing out with Joe, who has his own ideas of how things ought to operate. It may feel odd, but at the same time, I feel like a little kid who has somehow wandered into a magical world where toys and candy are piled up all around, waiting for me to sample. There has hardly a day gone by when I don't give thanks and pray for this man.

This morning, Joe was talking about our need for children's space, being careful to let people know how much we treasure their bringing their kids to worship. He made sure everyone knew that childish noise in worship was a blessing to be celebrated, not an interruption to be shushed. As the 11:00 service began, little Ethan, age 2, ran up the center aisle, grabbed a piece of the communion bread, stuffed it in his mouth, turned and ran back down the aisle. Joe's only comment was, "Wouldn't it be great if we all had that same eagerness to come to the table to meet Jesus?" It surely would, Joe. It surely would.

Last week I missed worship at Park. I was preaching for another pastor friend, and didn't get in on the invitation our pastor offered. Monday evening when I came for men's Bible study, I noticed the altar was covered with little folded slips of paper. This morning, I found out why they were there. Joe had asked people to write out the name of someone God placed on their heart and in their lives; someone who needed to know Jesus. They were committing to praying for this person, and to speaking to him or her about Jesus. Today, that invitation was extended to those who may have missed it last week. I am so glad for the grace that gives us second chances. I've needed it so often, and today, I was given another one.

Last night, Linda and I ordered pizza for supper. We had both put in a long day, and she didn't want to do any more cooking than she was already doing in preparation for the baby shower today. At 5:15, I headed down to the Witch Kitch to pick up our supper, and  while doing so, ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in some time. He used to come to our 6:00 service, even playing in the band, until his life was turned upside down. When his marriage collapsed, so did he. He was sitting at the bar nursing a beer and a shot when I greeted him. With an ear to ear smile, he began to talk of those days, and how he missed us. I invited him to come back to worship, but neglected to invite him to come back to Jesus. Joe reminded me this morning not to settle for a partial invitation. My friend needs Jesus. I need to be the one to remind him, and welcome him back. He's not the only one. I ended up with four names on my slip of paper, and have my work cut out for me this week.

Did I remember to say how grateful I am for our pastor? He is teaching this old dog some new tricks, and it is exciting to be challenged. Retirement isn't the end of the road; it's just a bend in it, and for this old preacher, it's leading to new adventures. To God be the glory!

1 comment:

  1. Pure taste of heaven for a preacher - hearing God's Word taught with passion and being challenged weekly by being able to work the other side of the sermon.

    ReplyDelete