Friday, November 28, 2014

Blessings' Responsibility

November 28, 2014

All around the world, hatred, fear, greed, and a host of other evils seem to rule the day. Whether it's ISIS in the Middle East, thugs gloating over their rioting and looting in Ferguson, or the parent sitting exhaustedly by the hospital bedside of a child gasping for breath, there is plenty of trouble to go around. Today while all this and more is happening, I plowed the driveway, put what I hope is the finishing touches on the fireplace, sanded and varnished an exquisite little secretary desk, fixed the Christmas lights on the garage, and had a delightful evening sitting by my wife as we both read, listening to Christmas music in the background. We have been blessed with peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, peace with each other, with friends, children, and grandchildren. If I don't pay attention, it becomes easy to feel guilty for the blessings instead of feeling responsible for them.

Jesus said that to whom much is given, much shall be required. I have been given much. To feel guilt for blessings given by the grace of God would be a sin. This kind of guilt is self-centered, focusing on one's own feelings. It is also a dead-end, producing nothing of any value. Taking responsibility for blessings means receiving them with joy and sharing them with others. Tomorrow, we will gather with Linda's family to shop for a family in need. It is but a small gesture, but combined with prayers, practical help with chores, visits to the sick, light begins to dispel the darkness. Throughout Advent and even beyond, we will use our blessings as a platform to bless others.

I am truly grateful to have been placed where I am in life. I could as easily have been born in Afghanistan or North Korea, or on the south side of Chicago. In God's mysterious wisdom, he placed me here, at this time in history. He allowed me to hear and respond to the Gospel, to meet and marry a woman who has helped me be a better man, surrounded me with faithful friends. I will therefore keep praying, keep looking for ways to lift people up and speak of the love of Christ. It is my responsibility. And my privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment