Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Happy Wife

November 12, 2014

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but the weather has been cooperative, so I just bit the bullet and got the job done. The '48 8N tractor has had its oil change, the chains are on the tires, the plow mounted. I've put the Ural to bed for the winter, except for the occasional snowy ride just so I can say I did it. The big mower I bought for Linda is tucked in the back of the garage, and there's room for Linda's car in the bay. The wood is in the shed and under tarp in between the spruce in the front yard. But the real job is shining in our window as I sit in the Millstone Room to write.

My Cuban friend Willie is wont to say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life." I am pleased to report that Linda is VERY happy tonight! I don't know anyone who enjoys Christmas preparation as much as she. When she asked the other day if I had cup hooks to install the lights on the garage, I assured her that I did, but when I climbed the ladder to screw them into the soffit, I quickly discovered that they weren't going to be adequate. Today when I went to town for a mentoring meeting, I paid a visit to Home Depot and picked up a box of light clips.

Our daughter Jessie and our littlest granddaughter Gemma were here when I got home, so I played with Gemma, sneaking a little plastic pig into her doll house while she closed her eyes and then searched for it before throwing it out the door to squeals of delight. But when it was time for them go go, they had hardly cleared the driveway before Linda was asking about the lights. It went pretty well, and when we rounded the bend on our way home from dinner with Nate and Deb and the girls, Linda was almost giddy with excitement, as we could see the lights glowing from a distance.

She insisted I take a photo of it, so I did.

I told Linda she could have the lights on tonight, but after this we really should wait till after Thanksgiving, but I'm not at all sure I'm going to win that one. It's OK; not according to the liturgical calendar, but Linda likes it, so I guess it'll stay. I am thankful tonight for a wife whose childlike delight in everything Christmas makes my heart smile. I may even have to swear off my annual "Bah, Humbug!" this year. And now, with lights duly installed and admired, I think it's time to go practice my bass for Friday's jazz band concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment