Sunday, October 26, 2014

Standing at the Fork in the Road

Here's another catch-up post:

October 24, 2014

The diagram was clear. It was a map, with a road curling down and around all sorts of life's obstacles. Much like Pilgrim's Progress, the path led through the valley of depression, the swamp of despair, the allure of wealth, the snares of drink and vice. There were shortcuts, dead-ends, and rabbit trails. At one point, the road split, with one path, straight and narrow, leading to heaven, and the other wide and winding, descending to hell. The presenters, pointing to various places on their hand-drawn map spoke of their experiences along the road, of poor choices they had made, and of their arrival at that crucial fork that would determine their eternal destiny. They all told of their new-found faith in Christ that put them on heaven's road.

It was my friend Ken's turn to speak. Instead of telling how he wanted to make sure he was on that straight and narrow path, he pointed to the fork in the road and said, "I want to stand right there, warning everyone I can, doing my best to steer them to the right path." I sat listening, dumbfounded. Not that Ken would come up with something like that. I've gotten used to his keen insight and burning passion for Christ. What continually amazes me is how God steals into a person's heart and captures it for Christ. Ken is one of the finest men I know. He would be embarrassed to see this in print, but being with him humbles and challenges me. His statement is a revelation of his heart. He isn't content to know Christ himself; he wants others to know Christ also. God has given me a great gift in Ken--a friend and brother in Christ whose company I treasure for his wit and knowledge, but even more for the wisdom and encouragement I know I'll get every time we get together. He always makes me want to be a better man. Thank you, Jesus for Ken, and the others in my life who by their love for You make me a better man than I would otherwise be.

No comments:

Post a Comment