Monday, October 13, 2014

Never Belittle the Bride

October 14, 2014

Dan was the preacher last night, although he didn't know it. We wanted to get an early start, so we left Charlotte right after breakfast, figuring we could stop along the way at either 8:30 or 11:00 to join a congregation in worship. There just had to be a church within spitting distance of a major expressway, right? Wrong. We did find a couple, but their worship times didn't coincide with the times we were able to hit the exits. "Not to worry," I told Linda. Remembering the wonderful time I had with them some years ago, I said, "We can join Dan and Nancy for their evening service in Ohio." We pushed on through and arrived around 5:30.

Dan and Nancy are devout Christians. They operate a Bed and Breakfast in the Amish country of Ohio, and for a number of years were a part of the Pastor's Retreat Network, which provided scholarships to pastors for prayer and renewal retreats, enabling them to attend without cost. I had come some years before and happened to be the only one there that particular weekend in February. It was a glorious time with no TV, radio, or even cell access. Just myself and Dan and Nancy...and God. They have a wonderful prayer room with a huge floor to ceiling window overlooking the valley. It was at the time, a much-needed respite from the pressures and stresses of ministry. The Network has since disbanded from lack of funds, and they've returned to the B&B business, although they are looking to sell so they can perhaps do something with autistic adults; their idea of retirement.

After warmly greeting us and showing us to our room, I went downstairs to inquire about evening services. Dan brought me a local newspaper with ads for services but unfortunately, there wasn't an evening service to be had within a half hour drive, and I didn't think I could persuade either Linda or myself to abuse our posteriors any more for one day. Apparently, my memory of the time of their worship service was a bit foggy. Who'd have guessed?

Dan talked of having changed churches since I saw him last. It was a long story, told without recrimination or bitterness. Then he unwittingly began to preach. He told of his pastor preaching about how Christians sometimes talk about the church, complaining and badmouthing congregations, denominations, and preachers. "God hit me right between the eyes," he mused. "The Church is the Bride of Christ. If you talked bad about my bride, I would not be very happy with you. What makes us think God is pleased to hear us badmouth his Bride?" I have to confess I've been guilty of this, often talking ill about some of the things that go on in my denomination, and of one particular bishop who acted in a decidedly unchristian manner towards my wife when we were going through our difficult years at Park. I've listened to people trash talk preachers, church matriarchs, youth workers, other Christians. Complaining and negativity is the order of the day for some Christians. It has always bothered me, but Dan articulated why. The Church is Christ's Bride, and it hurts and perhaps even angers him the way we talk about his Beloved. The wonder of it all is that he hasn't responded vehemently to our disrespect.

Or hasn't he? Mainline denominations are shriveling like raisins in the sun. American Christianity is often so self-centered that it is unrecognizable to Christians in Africa, the Soviet Bloc, or the Middle and Far East. Christians suffer from diseases and depression in alarming numbers. Perhaps Jesus is expressing his displeasure in ways more subtle than we imagine. Food for thought, courtesy of Dan Lembke of New Bedford, Ohio. Thank you, Dan! And thank you, Lord, for speaking through Dan to open my eyes once again to truths too easily ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment