Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Blessing Upon Blessing

October 7, 2014

This business of giving thanks can be a bit challenging. There was a time in my life when I wasn't very good at it. I could find all sorts of things to growl about; it doesn't take much effort or ingenuity to see the ills of this world. Original sin has done its work quite effectively, thank you. A casual scrolling through Facebook or Twitter will turn up enough complaint, anger, or bitterness to last a lifetime. I should know; I did my share of griping and passing along the negativity, blissfully unaware (how I could be so thick headed is beyond me) that I was in daily disobedience to the plain word of God that tells us not to "let any evil communication come out of our mouths, but only that which builds people up." Looking back, I remember pastor Roy once turning around in church when some people behind him were criticizing something in the worship service. He quoted Ephesians 4:29 (in quotes above) and said, "That wasn't building me up." Then a little louder, "Is anyone being built up by this?" Needless to say, they weren't very appreciative being called out on their complaining, but he was right.

I've related before how that all changed for me a couple years ago, and now with nearly two years' practice, the problem isn't finding something for which to give thanks. The problem is choosing from among all the possibilities. Today for example, was a beautiful day for a bike ride, so out came the Ural and down the road I went. The air was brisk, but after breakfast the sun came out. I had breakfast with my friend Willie, followed by coffee with Cameron (Doesn't that sound like a good title for an editor's column?). Ordering my espresso, I realized I wasn't hearing so well in my right ear. A quick check and no hearing aid. It must have popped off when I removed my helmet. I went outside and looked around to no avail. Cameron checked the cushions of the chair I had been sitting in. Oh well! We talked for an hour about the theological and practical ministry issues relating to our understanding of God as Father, and about the intensity of his seminary and ministry load. I prayed for him, and added almost as an addendum, "It sure would be nice to find that hearing aid." I was figuring that I had lost it outside Lisciandro's downtown, and by now it was squashed by the next car that pulled into my parking space. But when I went outside to get ready to ride back into town to check it out, there it was on the ground by my bike. How I missed it before, I don't know. I'm guessing one of God's angels picked it up from wherever it was and laid it down for me to find only after I prayed. That's a $2,000 thank you.

At the day-old bakery, I snagged some apple, pumpkin, and cinnamon raisin English muffins. A trifecta of muffinry! What a day! Back home, as I'm putting the bike away. Linda comes driving in with Miss Gemma in tow. So we hopped on the trampoline, I pushed her on the swings, and we had lunch of Ramen noodles and salad, after which we played hide and seek before I settled in to a bit more bathroom work. Ceiling is done; only the vanity cabinets and some trim left. A few letters for the prison ministry weekend, then on to tonight's swim meet where we saw Abi drop her backstroke time by nearly a second, and Alex break a twenty-three year old diving record. That goes back to when her dad was in high school! This, from the girl who only joined the team because she needed something to do while waiting for her sister to finish swim practice.

All this is just off the top of my head (where the hair used to be, I think). My Scripture reading this morning spoke of humility. Willie and I talked of all that has come our way, not through our own wisdom or effort, but simply by God's grace. I believe that's true for most people; too often we miss the blessings because we're blinded by the blisters of life. It's sad, because there is so much all around us for which to give thanks, and actually doing so enlivens us with blessing after blessing; yet too many fail to see them, and live as I did for years, under a cloud of melancholy that is easily dispersed with the sunshine of thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment