Thursday, October 2, 2014

Christ Chuckles

October 2, 2014

Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain?
The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together
  against the LORD and against his anointed, saying,
"Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles."
The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.
He rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,
"I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain."
I will proclaim the LORD's decree:
He said to me, "You are my son; today I have become your father.
Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance,
  the ends of the earth your possession.
You will break them with a rod of iron;
  you will dash them to pieces like pottery."
Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.
Kiss his son, or he will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction,
  for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him. --Psalm 2

This was one of my readings for this morning. Two years ago, I was getting caught up in all the political rhetoric of the presidential campaigns of Obama and Romney, which wasn't contributing anything at all to my peace of mind. I was getting agitated and worked up...for what? This scripture today reminded me of all that, and of the intervening time in which I've been focusing on gratitude, which has completely transformed my attitude and approach towards life itself.

This Psalm paints a picture of God and Christ (it is a Messianic Psalm) completely at odds with much of how modern Christians understand him. Even if our theology speaks of a God of righteousness and holiness, his character as a God of love and kindness trumps everything for most people. I can't even count the number of times people have said to me, "MY God wouldn't do..." Of course he wouldn't. For most of us, our God is not the God revealed in the Bible, but a god of our own creation. Instead of seeing ourselves as made in God's image, we remake him in ours, at least as we would like to be. So God becomes a celestial grandfather figure, indulging people's faults and foibles,  tut-tutting his way through history, insuring that everyone makes it in the end.

Not so here. God is portrayed as standing outside of human political striving, looking on all our maneuvering, manipulation, and posturing much as a teacher would look on little kindergartners trying to establish a pecking order on the playground. All their pushing and shoving seems so very important to them, but when the teacher steps in, the bullies have to bow out while their victims are defended.

God as One whose anger can flare up at any moment, who laughs at human strivings, who shatters nations in pieces with a rod of iron, before whom rulers tremble; this God stands outside our normal categories, a far cry from the "Daddy God" who invites us to come cuddle on his lap, as I've heard some Christians say. He is a terrifying and powerful God to be feared. And yet, even in this Psalm, blessings are given to those who take refuge in him, precisely because this Refuge is not a fearful temporary escape from a doom certain to overtake us sooner or later; it is a security in the eternal protective custody of the One who holds all history's trump cards.

The politicians are gearing up, spending millions to convince us they have our best interests at heart. Accusations and counter accusations are flying across the airwaves and cyberspace. People are getting all worked up. And God laughs. Which means we can, too. During this year's round of political seriousness, THAT is something for which to give thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment