Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Trust

 March 13, 2024

”Trust in the Lord with all your heart, 

And lean not on your own understanding; 

In all your ways acknowledge Him, 

And He shall direct your paths. 

Do not be wise in your own eyes; 

Fear the Lord and depart from evil.“ —Proverbs 3:5-7 


When I learned this as a teenager, we memorized only verses 5 and 6, but I think it is good to include verse 7. 


The first line is the foundation: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart.” This sounds easier than it is. It’s one thing to trust in the Lord when all is going well, but how about when you fail that test, or your best friend turns against you, or you get really sick? Much of the time I think we trust in the Lord with part of our hearts, but not with all our hearts. What would it look like for you to trust in the Lord with ALL your heart? What would change? 


The hardest part of these verses for me is that phrase, “with all your heart.” How can I be sure I am trusting with ALL my heart? After all, as I said once before, “the heart is deceitful above all things.” The closest I can come is to simply be honest with God: “Lord, as much as I am able, I will trust you. Reveal it to me whenever I am coming to you half-heartedly.” I believe God in his mercy and grace receives us as we are and as we want to be. If we come honestly, he’ll take care of the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment