Saturday, March 30, 2024

Saturday

 March 30, 2024

It’s Saturday night. The air is still, laden with heaviness. A small gathering of people huddles in silence, feeling confused and not knowing what tomorrow will bring. The world they had known for the past three years has crumbled, leaving them in fearful disarray. The night slips in upon them, casting shadows that mirror the shadows in their minds and hearts.


“Why did I run? Why was I so weak?” Questions lead to guilt, and more questions about forgiveness. But over all is a pale of sadness and fear; If happened to him, it can happen to any one of us.


In years to come, it would be called Holy Saturday, but it felt anything but throughout that long and lonely night. It’s one thing when someone doesn’t meet my expectations to be disappointed in him; it’s quite another matter to be disappointed in myself. It’s Holy Saturday, and I’m disappointed with me. As someone recently said, “Judas betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver. We do it for free.”


On this Holy Saturday, my only hope is for tomorrow. Unlike the first disciples, I know what tomorrow brings. As with Mary, my sadness will be turned to joy when Jesus calls my name. Tonight, I await that call. Tomorrow, I shall hear it, and worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment