Thursday, March 21, 2024

Control

 March 21, 2024

I’ve often said words to the effect that we should give control of our lives to Jesus Christ. I even once wrote a song that had in it the phrase, “We give your Spirit full control.” It sounds spiritual and holy, but I am beginning to wonder if it is what God really desires from us. 


When standing before Pilate, Jesus told him, “My kingdom is not of this world.” What did he mean by this? Think about how the world’s kingdoms and nations operate. Power, manipulation, deception, corruption, violence, and a host of other evils are stock in trade for the political systems of this world. To a greater or lesser extent, they demand authority and control of our lives whether it be through taxes, police power, laws and regulations so numerous and complex that we all are guilty of some obscure offense that could be brought against us if deemed necessary.


Jesus refused to TAKE control. The only crown he accepted was made of thorns; his only throne a cross. He resisted Satan’s temptations to assert his divine prerogatives, and when the crowds ceased following him, didn’t let it shake him from his resolve. He beckons us to follow us, but refuses to drive us with the lash.


Instead of taking control of our lives, Jesus gives control back to us. Paul says we were slaves to sin; Jesus set us free. But with that control, with that authority comes also responsibility. We can no longer blame God for the mess we make of things. If I do well, while I give honor to Jesus’ work in me, I can also take pride in my work. And if I do not do well, I must take responsibility for it and receive the consequences of my bad behavior. 


Jesus GIVES control; he doesn’t TAKE it. That makes all the difference in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment