Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Never Alone

 March 6, 2024

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

…The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. 

They pierced My hands and My feet; 

I can count all My bones. 

They look and stare at Me. 

They divide My garments among them, 

And for My clothing they cast lots. 

But You, O Lord, do not be far from Me; 

O My Strength, hasten to help Me! 

Deliver Me from the sword, 

My precious life from the power of the dog. 

Save Me from the lion’s mouth 

And from the horns of the wild oxen! 

You have answered Me.“

Psalm 22:16-21 


As Jesus hung on the cross, his life-blood slowly draining from his body, he quoted this psalm, perhaps in its entirety. The Gospel authors knew this psalm well, and remembered it when they wrote about the crucifixion. The sense of abandonment written here is palpable; perhaps worst than the physical pain of the cross was that for the first time in eternity, the Son of God who became sin for us (2 Corinthians 5:21), was separated from his Father, who in his holiness could not look upon sin. The intimate fellowship that heretofore was eternal, was broken in those moments. Jesus was absolutely, completely…alone, which is as accurate a description of hell as you’ll find anywhere.


So upon the cross, in physical and existential agony he cries out for deliverance …and finds it. The psalm changes in verse 21. In the middle of what was a plea for mercy suddenly pops up the words, “You have answered me.” We don’t know at what point as he hung there that these words were uttered, but it must have been before Jesus cried with a loud voice, “It is accomplished,” and whispered, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Jesus’ first words were directed to God; the intimacy had disappeared as he took on our sins. But at the end, he addressed God once more in the intimate term he used so often in his teaching—“Father…”


There are times we feel as Jesus did; alone, abandoned, forgotten. But what was actually true for him is never true for us. God never abandons us. Only his Son experienced total abandonment. We may FEEL alone, but even in our darkest hour, our Heavenly Father is with us. And as we pour out our hearts to him, we have the same assurance Jesus had: “You have answered me.” Not, “You will answer me,” but, “You HAVE answered me.” Even in your loneliness and despair, those prayers that seem to have bounced off the ceiling have already been answered. This is Good News, indeed!


No comments:

Post a Comment