Sunday, January 28, 2024

Imitation

 January 28, 2024

In 1 Corinthians 11:1, Paul makes a bold statement when he says, 

Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.” I remember reading that and thinking to myself, “I don’t think I could say that.” I am all too aware of my failings and shortcomings to tell people to do what I do. Tonight however, that all changed.


We were gathered in the sanctuary for a time of teaching and prayer. Our son Nathan was leading our time together by telling us of the time a year and a half ago when he had been diagnosed with brain cancer and had to take a lot of time off work. He spent that time resting, but also soaking in God’s Presence. Out of that experience he began to write down the process he used when he would pray and read, and tonight he shared it with us. 


“This is how I meet God. If you have a plan for meeting God, good. If you don’t have a plan, use mine until you develop your own.” It was his next words that really struck me.


“When Paul said, “Follow me as I follow Christ,” he wasn’t saying that he had it all together. Paul still made mistakes. He was simply saying, “I’m on the way; follow the way I follow; it won’t be perfect, but it’s better than not following.” 


In Philippians, Paul said, “I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.”

—Philippians 3:12-14 MSG


None of us can legitimately say, “Follow the example of my life.” What we can say is, “Follow the example of my following. I’m not there, but I’m headed for the goal.” Nate used a football illustration. When the quarterback throws the ball to the receiver, two things have to be in play: he has to throw the ball, not to where the receiver is, but where the receiver is going to be, and the receiver has to get to that spot. Either part can go astray. But when Jesus is our quarterback, the throw is always perfect; the only question is whether or not we are at the right place to make the catch. 


We are on the field. The ball was snapped, and Jesus has thrown it unerringly. The only question is, am I moving to the place where I need to be to make the catch? I may not get it every time, but I had better be listening to the One making the call, and make every effort to be in the right place at the right time. None of us makes the perfect catch all the time, but if we keep paying attention and reading His calls, we can keep gaining ground, and as a bonus, show others how it’s done. 


“Imitate my imitating Christ.” That’s Paul’s challenge, and our marching orders.

No comments:

Post a Comment