Saturday, November 18, 2023

Turning Point

 November 18, 2023

Tonight’s musings come compliments of Linda. The Gratitude Calendar for today reads “A gift made, shared, passed on.” I was drawing a blank till Linda said, “You made breakfast for Gemma this morning, shared it with her, and passed on the legacy of your own life.”


When Gemma (age almost 12) arrived last night, she and I sat and talked for probably 45 minutes. I asked how school was going, what she liked best and least, and other various questions just to get her talking. I told her about my grandparents, growing up in the 50’s, what it was like raising her uncles and her mother. We shared not only time, but hearts. 


With every child there comes a moment when as an adult we suddenly see them in a different light, growing up, edging their way into young adulthood, sticking a toe into the waters of relationships and responsibility. I don’t know how it happens, what changes, but it’s real. I’m grateful each time this new awareness has dawned on me. Nine grandchildren; Gemma is the last opportunity I’ll have to witness this subtle but definite transition. It is holy ground, and like Moses, I take off the shoes of my soul to stand on it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment