Sunday, November 19, 2023

Anywhere

 November 19, 2023

Ever since Ray Stedman wrote the book, “Body Life” in 1995, even mainline churches have embraced the concept of Christians serving according to their gifts or talents. We love serving out of our abilities and passions rather than mere obligation or necessity. 1 Corinthians 11 and Romans 13 provide the foundation for most teaching on spiritual gifts.

There can however, be a problem with the concept of serving out of our giftedness. I’ve heard people decline to help out when a need is presented, with the explanation that “That’s not my spiritual gift.” Rick Warren answered this kind of objection very simply: “If you aren’t willing to serve anywhere, you’re not ready to serve anywhere.” The old hymn by Adelaide Addison Pollard summarizes the attitude that should characterize everyone who desires in any way to serve Christ.

“Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Thou art the potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after thy will,
while I am waiting, yielded and still.

“Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today.
Whiter than snow Lord, wash me just now,

as in thy presence humbly I bow.

“Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray.
Power, all power, surely is thine.
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.

“Have thine own way, Lord! Have thine own way!
Hold o'er my being absolute sway.
Fill with thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me.”

I’ve sung this song since I was a kid, but back then I didn’t understand as I do now the importance of the humility revealed in these words. Too often, good ministry has been undermined by pride and a sense of self-importance that ended up destroying a significant work of the Holy Spirit. Isaiah said it well:


“For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”

—Isaiah 57:15 


“If you aren’t willing to serve anywhere, you aren’t ready to serve anywhere.”


No comments:

Post a Comment