Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Thanksgiving

 November 22, 2023

When the person on the other end of the line is in tears, it’s a pretty good hint that something significant is going on. Such was the case with the phone call I received this morning. I listened, then prayed for her. After hanging up, I was once more amazed at the way God works. I can’t divulge details, but God brought this young woman into my life some years before. Then a couple years ago, I lost touch until I happened to see her name in an online local promotion. I called her and was once more able to do business with her. Turns out, God had bigger plans in mind, as she professed her faith in Jesus Christ. I’ve been privileged to watch her grow till she has become a woman of great faith.


Great faith is often accompanied by great trials, and today’s phone call is evidence of that truth. I’ve been blessed to be invited into a circle of confidence that has allowed me a front row seat in the growth of a relatively new believer. It is holy ground.


At six o’clock, the countdown began as the Bailey clan gathered at our daughter and son in law’s for Thanksgiving dinner of cordon bleu, roasted cauliflower and broccoli, and brussel sprouts, followed by an assortment of pies. I didn’t even bother to count, but there were in excess of twenty of us gathered for good food, laughter, and gratitude. The meal being over, the table was cleared and the Thankful Tablecloth was spread out. It dates back twenty years, each year each of us adding something for which we are thankful. 


Over the years, babies have come and grown up, boyfriends and international students have left their mark on this visible reminder of the goodness of God. My only concern is that someday when Linda and I are gone, who will become the Keeper of the Cloth. Tonight, that is not on the agenda, and we are once more grateful for the many blessings we have received. 


Once everyone has signed the tablecloth, it’s time for the official start to the Christmas season. No, it’s not yet Advent, but when everyone gathers in the living room for a short segment of “The Christmas Story,” all is set into motion. Everyone files out into the dining room while son Matthew, son in law Todd, and grandson Ian bring in the crate marked FRAGILE, (must be Italian). All the lines of the movie are dutifully recited as Todd opens the crate, throws excelsior around and lifts the leg lamp while Ian strokes the stocking. We all move en masse to the front lawn where the dialogue continues. That being done, it’s time to go home and count again our many blessings as Thanksgiving hovers, waiting for the dawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment