Sunday, November 26, 2023

One Thing

 November 26, 2023

The simplest questions are often the toughest. Tonight in our discipleship group, our leader asked the question, “What is the one thing above all else that you would like God to do for you?” One thing only…that’s where it gets hard. My first reaction was to be able to hear so I don’t miss conversations and opportunities that are right in front of me. When I’m in a crowded place, it must seem to others that I’m aloof or stand-offish when I don’t join into conversations. The reality is, I can’t make out what people are saying.


Then I got to thinking a bit deeper. What’s the ONE thing for me? I think one of the reasons we make such slow progress in Christian living is our scattergun approach to it. I suspect most of us have no real target for our prayers. We throw a lot of prayers around, hoping some of them will stick, but if I’m not specific, how will I know if God actually answers them? 


My first response to Nathan’s question was to get the Cuba mission back on track. This last trip felt to me like we are finally getting some traction after about five years of floundering in the dark. 


My next thought was about gratitude. Ten years ago, God put it on my heart (He actually pretty much demanded) that I give thanks in everything and stop growling about all the negativity in the world. It took a year to wean me off my own negativity, but God was faithful, and I’m a much happier person today than I was then.


More recently, I’ve been wondering about how to mentor young men. I’m convinced of the need, but don’t know where or how to begin, or even if this is what God wants me to do.


Lastly, this past June, God started hammering on me about making Jesus my default; where my mind goes when I don’t have to be thinking of something else. Specifically, to stop grabbing for my phone whenever I have a few spare minutes.


I’m still trying to sort all this out. If there were one thing only, which would it be? I’m praying into it, and invite you to do the same—for me…and for yourself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment