Friday, September 1, 2023

Stepping Out

 September 1, 2023

I’ve been looking unsuccessfully for the Bible verse that supports what I learned today. If you can think of one after reading this, let me know.


I awoke this morning feeling somewhat emotionally flat-lined. Working out, reading my Bible and praying didn’t seem to help. I was reading in 1 John, words I have read dozens of times to much profit. This morning it seemed to be just philosophical ramblings that made little sense. After an hour or so, I gave up. After all, it was time for my weekly Spanish lesson. 


After lunch and a few tasks helping Linda get ready for our dinner group tonight, and I was off to jazz band rehearsal. It felt good to be back actually reading music for the bass! Table talk with friends turned into prayer time together before everyone headed for home. 


Here’s the good news: Sometimes introverts like me need to get out of our heads and into the world if we want to experience the presence of God. Many are the times I’ve heard God speak to my heart while studying the Scriptures, but it doesn’t always work that way for me. I often need, like today, to put the devotions behind me and pay attention to other people. When I do, inevitably, God shows up. I think it’s because when I’m with other people, I’m not thinking of myself. 


If you’re an extrovert, you know this intuitively, but if you like me, are more inclined to reflection,  if you get stuck, it might be helpful to step away from the devotional life and move from contemplation to construction, building a relationship that requires your attention. In the giving, we receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment