Monday, September 18, 2023

Old Guys Working

 September 18, 2023

Ten years ago when I began writing nightly articles, I wrote about things for which I was grateful. Over the years, it morphed into Scriptural commentary and life insights that God was giving me. Lately, either I’m getting lazy or I’m not listening to God as well as I once did, because there seem to be plenty of nights when my mind just isn’t working. 


Tonight I want to give thanks for my brothers in Christ. Last Monday night I told the guys at our Monday night Bible study of one of our Christian sisters in need of getting a pile of wood split and stacked. We’re mostly retirees, so getting a wood splitting party together during the day is eminently doable. So we did it. The original plan was to gather at the Country Cow (a great place for a man’s breakfast) for breakfast, then over to our sister’s home. The Cow is closed on Mondays, so we just met at her house for what I thought would be an hour’s work.


Four hours later, we had the last piece split and stacked. Our sister fixed us a wonderful breakfast of eggs, bacon, coffee, and toast, along with bottles of water to keep us hydrated through the morning. This evening, one of the guys commented that I had billed this as an hour’s work. “If I had said four hours, no one would have showed,” was my only defense. 


Old guys working; it can’t be beat for fellowship with a purpose, and I am thankful tonight for them, for their friendship and faithfulness to put our Monday night studies into practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment