Saturday, September 23, 2023

Sloth

 September 23, 2023

It’s not often Linda and I have an entire day to ourselves. Today was the day. She wanted to sleep in till 8:00 am, but my spare hearing aids that I had in their charging case by the bed hadn’t actually been plugged in for a few days, and about 4:00 am, she wakes me up. “Do you hear that?” she asked. 


“Hear what?” I responded. It turns out that when the charging unit is low on power, it signals its imminent demise with a high-pitched squeal that is exactly the same pitch as the ringing in my ears. I’m used to it. Didn’t bother me one bit. Linda on the other hand, was not amused when I rolled over and went right back to sleep while she tossed and turned.


Emma woke me up about 5:45, so I let her out, exercised, read my Bible, and began fixing breakfast. It was a less than auspicious start to what turned out to be a wonderful day. 


We visited a couple shops she wanted to see, came home and did up some more wood for winter, then watched grandson Nathan’s soccer team beat Fredonia 4-1. Nathan is goalie and made some pretty amazing saves. The evening is ending with me practicing jazz licks on my bass, a video call with granddaughter Abi, and now writing. 


It’s a pretty ordinary day except that for us, it was extraordinary in its simplicity and pace. It’s good to slow things down once in awhile. In fact, I might just adopt the sloth for my mascot. I don’t have any pearls of wisdom, nor anything newsworthy to offer tonight. I’m writing merely for the discipline of it. I may be sloth-like, but I don’t want to get lazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment