Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Bruised Ribs

 September 26, 2023

Last week I think I bruised a few ribs when I slipped and fell while cutting wood. I’m grateful that’s all it was, because when I went down, I had a running chain saw in my hand. In the split second when I lost my footing, I managed to get the saw at arm’s length, keeping me from losing any body parts. I went back to work and finished the job, and the next day tackled a second pile of logs. 


This morning I woke early, so decided it was time to get back to my daily workouts. My fifty squats and pushups weren’t a problem, but when it came to crunches, I only got in ten before my ribs demanded that I quit.


It got me to thinking. St. Paul told us that we are the body of Christ, and that if one part hurt, the whole body is affected. We know that a malfunctioning part of the Church can run the whole enterprise off the rails. We’ve seen it all too often when a pastor has an affair, or the church treasurer embezzles funds. It happens in less noticeable ways, too; a gossip betrays trust, a harsh word wounds a child, or criticism poisons fellowship. Even more sinister are the secret hidden sins we harbor. We imagine that because nobody knows, it hurts no one, not realizing that from that sin a spiritual poison begins to spread throughout the body.


An injury to our souls has effects beyond what we may initially think. We may brush off that raging criticism we endured, but our confidence is rattled. That impure thought upon which we dwelt is gone now, but our passion for Christ is dulled, our ability to pray or witness is crippled. In the life of the spirit as well as life in the body, everything is connected, which is why we are exhorted to regular times of confession and repentance, and even more, to the spiritual disciplines which guard us against the inner wounds before they happen. 


Most of the day, my ribs don’t bother me, but until they’re completely healed, there are some things I cannot do without wincing. The same is true for my soul. I can normally handle a lot of things, but if I have allowed the Enemy to have a toehold in my heart, when it comes to the important matters of life, all I’ll be able to do is wince in pain. Reason enough there to watch my spiritual step. I want to be able to tackle all God gives me without reservation and without wondering whether or not I’ll be able to take the deep breath of the Spirit that I need.


No comments:

Post a Comment