Monday, August 21, 2023

Bees, Bass, and Life

 August 21, 2023

“I keep bees.” That sounds impressive (or crazy) to the uninitiated, but let me assure you, I would be better described similarly to when I say, “I am a bassist.” Honesty in both areas compels me to admit that I’m not much more than a hack at either. Mind you, I love playing my bass, and I love fiddling with the bees, but I am such a slather-a** with both that I can hardly claim even a modicum of proficiency with either.


As I’ve said of my musical ability, I am living proof that you don’t have to be good at music to enjoy it. The same goes for my bees. I have odds and ends of mismatched equipment that makes it challenging to manage the colonies efficiently; so far, I seem to muddle through, though it would behoove me to get organized just a bit. Fortunately, I’m not in it for the money. If I were, I would need to get my act together last month. It’s enough for me to be able to sell enough to keep me from going broke while enabling me to give or trade with friends and family.


From what I can see, there’s a lot of people who live their lives like I keep bees and play bass: doing just enough to scrape by, but not putting in the time and effort needed to actually improve and make something of themselves. Even Christians often claim the Name while refusing to allow the Name to claim them. Not a lot hinges on how I keep bees or play bass, but everything depends on whether Jesus is merely a label or whether he is Lord. Life and salvation is not something to be played with carelessly; Jesus said it better than anyone: “What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” —Mark 8:36 


What, indeed?


No comments:

Post a Comment