Sunday, August 27, 2023

Baptism

August 27, 2003


Someone asked me today if I knew how many people have been baptized in the swimming hole on our property. I really don’t know, but we are happy to be able to host baptismal services here whenever asked. Today, seven were baptized, from young children to an older adult. Linda and I get front row seats to the beginnings of new life in Christ, and today we didn’t even have to chase away the snakes.


Watching the baptisms gets a bit nostalgic for me. It used to be me down in the water, welcoming people into the family of faith with the words, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit!” Ordinary, yet powerful words I don’t get to say these days. But I do get to hear, and in a sense, host these words, and am privileged to witness with all the others standing on our lawn, the first steps of these newborn believers. 


Maybe I’ll ask pastor Joe how many people have been baptized in our creek. Numbers aren’t everything, but each number is a person, and each person matters to God. The waters flowing over the little falls into our swimming hole can’t wash away anyone’s sins, but they symbolize what can—faith in Jesus Christ who died on a cross to wash our sins away. Today we witnessed seven people confess that faith; seven people precious to God. For this, we rejoice today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment