Monday, March 20, 2023

Sitting with God

 March 20, 2023

My Scripture reading for today was in Galatians 4. I have no beef with what Paul wrote, but today it just didn’t move me. When that happens, I know it’s not God’s problem; it’s me. As I thought about it, part of the issue this morning is that I didn’t know where my heart was at the moment, other than wishing I hadn’t agreed on meeting my two best friends for breakfast. Monday mornings, along with Friday mornings are the only two days of the week when one or the other of us doesn’t have early morning meetings, so we like to have a leisurely breakfast and lots of conversation. I always would rather be home with Linda. (In case Harry or Ken reads this, it’s nothing against you. We had a great morning together, and I’m glad I joined you for breakfast.)


How is it that this one person has so gotten into my soul that I would rather be with her than anyone else in the world? We see life differently, have personalities so divergent that I used to laugh when couples in crisis would tell me that they were incompatible. In spite of all the things we don’t have in common, if I have a choice, I want to be with her. Why is that? Maybe it’s the “being” part. We don’t have to talk, although she needs talk more than I do. Just being together fills me up. 


I think that’s how it is with God sometimes. I like it when I read something in the Bible that jumps out at me so clearly I know God is speaking, but that doesn’t always happen, and it’s OK. This morning the Lord didn’t speak to me, but I’m OK with that. He just came and sat with me, and he filled my soul and spirit. As Psalm 103 put it, “You fill my mouth with good things so my youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” As we sat together silently, I was filled, and it was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment