Sunday, March 5, 2023

Holy Home

March 5, 2023


Way back in the 60’s Jackie Gleason was interviewed about his life. Gleason was no prude, and no stranger to rather colorful language which he used freely in his nightclub appearances. The interviewer noted the difference between these live performances and his work in television, from his work in The Honeymooners and the Jackie Gleason show. Live, his language could be as down and dirty as the worst of them, but in television, it was squeaky clean. Why was this, the interviewer asked.


“On television, I am being invited into people’s homes,” Gleason replied. “I am a guest there, and must act and talk accordingly.” I’ve thought of his response occasionally through the years, especially as the standards of speech and conduct have eroded over time. I remember my grandfather comment back in the 60’s about something he saw on television, commenting that it was “smutty.” That was nearly sixty years ago! I can’t imagine what he would say today, and he wasn’t even a Christian back then. 


People who know Linda and me know how we speak and how we don’t speak. So they know when they come to our house that profanity isn’t part of our lives. So why do we allow people on television to use language and speak innuendoes that we wouldn’t tolerate of real people who sit around our table? Last night, we watched a movie, one that has been highly rated and critically acclaimed. The language was terrible, with the characters dropping the F-bomb seemingly with every other sentence. We were uncomfortable, but watched till the end because the story line was compelling. Then the Lord convicted me overnight about this. As head and spiritual covering of our home, it was my responsibility to be the guard at the gate, and I failed. I allowed something unholy into our home, sullying my wife’s and my purity and holiness. I had to repent before the Lord and apologize to my wife for failing to protect the sanctity of our home. 


Our kids might disagree, but I don’t think we’re particularly prudish. We are fortunate not to have had first hand experience with much of the crude, violent, and debauched depravity of human life. We’ve not had to live through nearly the trauma many have experienced first hand. We are grateful for that. We are not unaware of it, nor of its destructive effect on the human mind and soul. Protecting my home, making it a sanctuary for the thrice-holy God Almighty is serious business and my responsibility. God’s overnight conviction made me aware of how easily I unbolted and un barred the gate to allow evil to penetrate without hardly a whimper of resistance. I am determined it will not happen again. The peace of holiness is far more important than a compelling story line, and God’s story is so much better than anything the world can put together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment