Thursday, February 16, 2023

Sincere Prayer

 February 16, 2023

Almost every time I’ve prayed for someone, after the Amen would come a “Thank you.” I’ve heard those words countless times over the years, but today something was different about it. 


On the way home from an overnight with our granddaughters and time with my brother and sister in law, we stopped in to see a friend in Buffalo. I got to know him nearly two years ago, and whenever I’m in the area, I try to pop in for a few minutes. We talk, and he asks me how Nate is doing, how Linda is, and general chit chat, and I inquire about what’s going on in his life. He tells me he prays for Nate and reads my writings regularly, for which I am thankful and humbled. 


Quite often when I’m with friends, I’ll ask how I can pray for them, and today was no different…except for his response. He shared with me some pretty serious health issues he is facing, matters which like our son’s, you can’t see just from looking at him. Most people don’t share freely such personal matters. I told him I would pray for him, and then asked if I could do so right then and there, surrounded by numerous people I didn’t know. He said he would like that, so I bowed my head and asked God to reveal himself to my friend in the midst of his trials, and to heal his body for Jesus’ sake and the glory of his name. It wasn’t long or flowery, but it was sincere.


I don’t often get emotional in prayer and am not one of those who you’re likely to hear saying, “Don’t you just feel the presence of the Holy Spirit here?” But as we stood side by side, God’s presence was very real to me. I didn’t have twitchy feelings or anything like that, but it was for me, a holy moment.


My friend thanked me, but it is I who must thank him. His willingness to stand in a busy public place while I blessed him in the name of Jesus became the avenue of God’s grace to my heart. So, my friend, thank you. Together we stood on holy ground; you blessed me more than you can imagine. Now I pray for the Scripture to be fulfilled in us: 


“Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.”

—James 5:13-16 


No comments:

Post a Comment