Monday, February 6, 2023

Obeying God

 February 6, 2023

In our Men’s Bible Study group this evening, we were discussing Peter’s testimony before the high priest in Acts 5 when the apostles were warned to not speak of Jesus. Actually, it was a bit stronger than a warning. They were commanded. Peter’s reply was classic: “We ought to obey God rather than men.”


As we discussed at what point we need to take such a stand, and what it might cost us to do so, I wondered about my own timidity when it comes to sharing my faith. Would I have stood tall like Peter, or would I have caved to the demands of the authorities? 


I grew up in an era when Christianity was acceptable. Even if society didn’t always live by our standards, Christian morality was supported by the culture. Allegiance to God was at least given lip service. No longer. Our culture has become increasingly hostile to Christian faith. It doesn’t mind if we give lip service to it, but if we actually live out our Christian beliefs, the masks and the gloves come off. 


Years ago when Linda was applying for a teaching position, she was asked about her faith. They knew I was a preacher, and they were worried she might use her position as a teacher to proselytize. I’m sure Christian teachers today are under even more pressure to keep their beliefs to themselves, even as other teachers are allowed to foist all sorts of depraved ideas upon children. I got to wondering if we wouldn’t be better off today if we had taken Peter’s stand back then. The barn door is open and the horses are long gone.


So the question remains: Where do we draw the line? When do we say, “We ought to obey God rather than men?” Or in Luther’s famous declaration before the Diet of Worms, “Here I stand; I can do no other!” The day is passing when we can accommodate the culture. From a baker in Colorado to a florist in Oregon, the pressure is mounting. “You will be made to care,” is the new mantra. 


Peter’s stand led to a beating. We aren’t there yet in this country, but that day may not be too far off. Our government’s mandates of vaccinations, renewable energy, etc., are but first steps. Jesus’ parable of the Sower is instructive here. I used to read this and wonder if I could stand firm in the persecution represented by the seed sown on rocky ground. One day when reading this parable, God spoke to me. “You aren’t seed on rocky ground. You are the seed in the thorns where the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches are choking you till you are unfruitful.” (See Matthew 13:1-23)


The last time I was in Cuba, I witnessed the difficulties my Christian brothers and sisters are living with every day. Shortages abound. People are so desperate they’re selling everything they have so they can fly to Guatemala where they join the caravans to our southern border. Yet the desperation is fueling a revival such as I’ve never witnessed before. So how do I pray for Cuba? Do I pray that the economic situation will ease up so they aren’t so hard-pressed? Or do I pray for the revival? And how do I pray for us here in the USA? Do I pray for prosperity, for the continuance of the blessings we have inherited, or do I pray for revival knowing that it may only come with economic and social collapse? 


If I am unwilling to rip out the thorns of my wealth, what makes me think I would stand in the hot glare of persecution? Persecution isn’t my field. Thorns are. It’s past time to be talking about these matters. I need to start living them. God, rather than men; it’s a word for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment