Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Barnabas

 February 7, 2023

“I don’t like those modern worship songs! They’re too loud, too repetitive, and hip hop and the Gospel just don’t mix.” “I wish my church would get into the Twentieth Century, let alone the Twenty-first! All they sing are old songs from the 1800s and before. When are they going to get with it?” “Our preacher talks too long!” “Our preacher just tells stories.” 


You get the picture. We all want worship to mirror our tastes, and when it doesn’t, we fold our arms, scowl like an old school-marm, and compile lists of grievances in our minds. It’s nothing new. Any time the church enters a new season of life, it stirs things up. That’s what new life does; ask any mother of a newborn!


The New Testament book of Acts is a showcase of new beginnings. In chapter one, the disciples had to come to terms with Jesus’ physical absence. In chapter two, the Holy Spirit stirred things up at Pentecost, much to the displeasure of the religious leaders. Chapters 3 through 5 brought “unregulated” healing and preaching in the name of Jesus, much to the chagrin of those leaders who had conspired for his death.


By chapter six, the church had grown to the point where some were feeling neglected by the apostles, whose work had burgeoned and threatened to overwhelm them. So it goes. In chapter 9, Saul is converted and commissioned to preach to the Gentiles, and in chapters 10 and 11, this brings a seismic shift into the church as it breaks loose of its Jewish roots. 


Dramatic change always brings tension, and the fledgling church was no exception. Fortunately, there were a few who had the gifts and graces to navigate this tension, helping people adjust, encouraging and enabling them to love people very different than themselves. Barbabas was one of those people. His very name is more of a title given him by those who knew his character: “Son of Encouragement.” In 11:23-24 it says, 


“When [Barnabas] came and had seen the grace of God, he was glad, and encouraged them all that with purpose of heart they should continue with the Lord. For he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord.”


That’s the kind of man I want to be. I want to see God’s grace in those moments of tension; I want to encourage people simply to follow the Lord. I want to be a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith. Why? So a great many people can be added to the Lord.


I’ve had to work at being a Barnabas. Since retirement, certain things have changed in the life of our congregation, and it’s not always easy to adjust. I’m working at it, and one thing that helps is my understanding of worship. Whenever I’m tempted to say, “I don’t like that song,” or “That sermon didn’t speak to me,” God reminds me that worship isn’t about me; it’s about him. How I feel about it is irrelevant. The only question is, “Did this bring praise to the Lord Jesus Christ?” That’s what worship is all about—the word itself comes from the Old English “worth-ship.” Jesus Christ alone is worthy of my adoration and praise. No matter how well I sing the songs or even preach the Word, if Jesus isn’t receiving my attention and devotion, I’m not worshipping him; I’m worshipping me. 


So bring on the change. And Lord Jesus, bring out the Barnabas in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment