Saturday, July 2, 2022

Cowardice

 July 2, 2022

“He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”” —Revelation 21:7-8 NKJV


It’s often instructive to note where we place ourselves in the Biblical story. In the story of the Prodigal Son, do we see ourselves as the wayward son, the elder son, the father, or one of the background characters? Am I faithful Daniel or lustful David? 


We love to think of ourselves as overcomers; we rarely see ourselves as unbelieving, abominable, murderers, immoral, sorcerers (the word here actually means those who deal in drugs), idolaters, or liars. We want to see ourselves roaming the golden streets, not roasting in a lake of fire. But John throws in a word that catches us off guard and challenges our smug self-confidence.


He begins this list of what we consider terrible sins with one we often think of more as a weakness than a sin: cowardice. Cowards too, shall be swimming through fire. 


When I first came to Christ, I wanted everyone to know him, and boldly witnessed to my friends whose response was mockery, ridicule, and rejection. No one had told me to expect this, and my confidence withered like a cut flower on a hot summer day. Though a pastor, when it came to publicly speaking of Christ, I was more often than not silent. I was cowardly in my witness, but never saw the consequences of such silence. I knew that others’ eternal destiny was at stake, but never saw mine as endangered.


And yet, here it is, plain as day: “the cowardly…shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” It doesn’t get much clearer than that! Those who refuse to warn people of their danger shall join them in it.


“Lord, forgive me my cowardly ways. Take away this weak heart of stone and give me a heart of flesh beating with passion and compassion for those whose present path is a highway to hell.”

No comments:

Post a Comment