Wednesday, June 29, 2022

A Special Ordinary Evening

 June 29, 2022

“You didn’t post about tonight?” Linda sounded surprised, but I had been thinking all day about the morning’s Scripture and wasn’t ready to change horses in the middle of the stream, as they say. So tonight I’m reflecting on last night.


It’s pretty straightforward; our three children and their spouses took us to dinner for our anniversary, followed by a short walk to an ice cream shop for after-dinner cones; nothing unusual, but everything very special. I know families so fractured that a gathering like ours would be all but impossible. Our conversation was so normal I cannot tell you what we talked about, but the enjoyment of the evening is something I will remember for a long time. 


Recently, someone complimented me on raising the children we have. Before we were married, Linda and I talked about having children, the goals we had for them, and how we could best reach those goals. We worked hard at it, prayed a lot, and as the Bible says about Noah, we found grace in the eyes of the Lord. Last night, Linda and I reaped some of the rewards, and were blessed. As a footnote, Linda asked me to take a photo of the kids sitting outside the ice cream shop. I did, but I wasn’t in it, so a selfie was in order. I don’t do selfies, so my attempt led to one of our kids’ favorite activities—humor at dad’s expense. It was a normal, very good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment